My preschool daughter likes to hear stories from the Bible. She started Sunday School last year, and they've been discussing parts of Old Testament and New Testament. This last Sunday she learned of Lydia, a woman who sold purple cloth. Sunday School ends in a few weeks for the summer break. Our home studies will continue, however.
Sunday School teachers often use felt story boards to teach Bible lessons. We own our own felt board, and I've found it useful in teaching all sorts of things, from letters to the days of the week. My daughter likes to experiment with different felt shapes and figures.
Just recently I learned about Time4felt.com, a consultant for Story Time Felts. Time4felt offers many different products including Bible story sets. Awnya Boam, the Time4Felt owner, sent us a sample Bible kit called The Parables of Jesus. The kit includes the 25 felt figures shown to the left as well as accompanying "Scripture Stories" literature to assist in teaching the parables, discussion topics and activity suggestions. Five different parables can be taught using the set:
• The Lost Sheep, Luke 15:1-7, Matthew 18:14Flannel board felts provide a handy, fun way to teach children. The visual and interactive aspects keep kids entertained and engaged while learning. I set up The Ten Virgins story felt set and used the figures to tell my daughter the story about the virgins, their oil lamps and the bridegroom. She asked questions and liked helping place and remove the figures on the board. We talked about the time when Jesus will return to earth and how we can prepare. She also repeated the story to me in her own words, using the figures as a guide.
• The Ten Virgins, Matthew 25:1-13
• The Good Samaritan, Luke 10:25-37
• The Prodigal Son, Luke 15:11-32
• The Wise and the Foolish Builders, Matthew 7:24–27
The Parables of Jesus set is reasonably priced at $14.99 for the uncut version, $17.99 for the precut version. The figures are made of heavy felt and the printed images are clear and detailed. Time4Felt.com offers all sorts of products besides Bible stories including Quiet Books, story books, felt dolls, and Spanish teaching materials. I know my daughter would also love Grandpa's Farm set, one of the many general Felt Board Story sets available. Awnya's monthly newsletter includes the latest specials as well as some neat ideas, like her Teacher Appreciation suggestions for the month of May.
Thanks to Faith Approved and Time4Felt.com for this review opportunity!